Corona virus (COVID-19) - Important measures at the CRG
Within the context of Covid-19 (based on the guidelines from the federal government, the medical necessity and urgency of a (fertility) treatment and referring to the guidelines of the stakeholders and authorities involved), the following outpatient care and treatments are safely provided in the Centre for Reproductive Medicine (CRG) of UZ Brussel:
For known domestic patients (based on an existing CRG medical file):
- Phone consultations with your treating doctor or a fellow physician can be scheduled. To do so, contact the contact centre at +32 2 477 66 99 (if an on-site consultation is necessary, you need to indicate this explicitly when making your appointment).
• Regarding the specific start your medical treatment, by appointment only and in agreement with your treating physician:
- An ovarian stimulation or egg retrieval can currently be planned by your treating doctor under certain eligibility criteria. For the time being, the woman’s age and medical diagnosis, prognosis and necessity remain the determining factors. You should discuss this with your treating doctor by telephone
- Embryo transfers: the same criteria will be applied: an embryo transfer can be scheduled in agreement with your doctor (and can be performed from 18 May 2020) if it does not pose a risk to your health.
- Embryo transfers with frozen/thawed embryos: the same criteria will be applied. In agreement with your physician, an embryo transfer with frozen/thawed embryo can be carried out from 2 June 2020 under certain conditions.
- Inseminations: these can be scheduled from 2 June 2020, after agreement and planning with your treating doctor.
The availability of these medical treatments continues to be limited due to the measures taken in the current situation. Consequently, it is not guaranteed that you will be able to start your treatment immediately. An optimal start will be determined in agreement with your doctor and counsellor; we try to help everyone as soon as possible within our possibilities. Behind the scenes, we are working hard to optimize our capacity as soon as possible.
For new domestic patients who do not yet have a complete medical file at the CRG:
- Based on the maximum capacity in relation to our available infrastructure, we try to offer new patients an appointment for a consultation as soon as possible. This implicates also the planning of examinations (preliminary blood tests, ultrasound scan, semen analysis) as well as a counselling session with one of our counselors. We will to be able to offer this first consultation from the 2nd of June. As of 18 May 2020, you can contact our contact centre ( +32 2 477 66 99) to book these appointments. We ask for your patience and hope to meet you soon.
- Patients, who have already had an appointment with a doctor but are still waiting for a counselling, can contact us to book this counselling.
Further general information and instructions:
- When a treatment is scheduled, the nursing team will continue to supervise you as before (telephone contact, medication collection, blood samples, day admission,…)
- The first blood sample at the start of your treatment has to be carried out at the CRG because at that moment we also need to check your health condition and ask for your written consent to start a treatment.
- All necessary preventive measures relating to Covid-19 that are in force throughout the hospital, will strictly be applied: e.g. separate pathways, social distancing during contacts, the screening tests to be carried out (usually a collection with a swab in order to be able to do a PCR test) that are always done prior to a medical act and this for egg retrieval, embryo transfer as well as insemination, the presence of your partner is discouraged unless strictly necessary,...) General anesthesia can not be offered yet.
- If, during this period, you feel the need for urgent psychological support within the context of your fertility treatment, you can request a phone consultation with one of our psychologists via the contact center ( +32 2 477 66 99).
The CRG is available for the following services at the times indicated below:
- Blood samples (by appointment only) daily between 7 a.m. and 6 p.m.
- Ultrasound scans (by appointment only) daily from 7 a.m. to 1 p.m. and 2 p.m. to 6 p.m., depending on the type of ultrasound scan.
- The hospital pharmacy is available to collect medication from 8.30 a.m. to 6 p.m. on weekdays and from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. on weekends.
- The contact center (for information and appointments) is available every weekday from 8 a.m. to 5.30 p.m.
- Daily patient monitoring is available every day from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- The nursing station at the consultations is available daily from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.
This overall policy may be revised within the foreseeable future based on changed insights and guidelines.
More information on COVID-19 via the official website: www.info-coronavirus.be/en or via the UZ Brussel FAQ web page (text in French).
Thank you for your understanding.