Did you know?
IVM treatment in a nutshell
The pathway for IVM treatment is the same as any other fertility treatment.
- When you make the decision to start IVM treatment with your doctor, you will be given an appointment with an IVM counsellor.
- The IVM cycle is based on your natural cycle. If you do not have a regular cycle, your hormone levels will be determined with a blood test and a hormonal pill may be prescribed to plan your treatment.
- Treatment starts with bloodwork and a vaginal ultrasound to visualise the number of follicles in your ovaries.
- Depending on your condition, you may be asked to give yourself an injection for up to three days for mild hormonal stimulation of the ovaries.
- The next step is oocyte retrieval: we puncture the follicles through the vagina and collect immature oocytes.
The procedure is always performed under local anaesthesia. This can also be done under full anaesthesia for medical reasons.
IVM in the lab
- The oocytes we collect during the follicle puncture are left to mature in the laboratory for 30 hours in a specially developed liquid (media). In some cases, this is followed by a second 24-hour phase of in vitro maturation.
- On average, 50% of the punctured oocytes are successfully matured. Obviously, every body is different and results may vary depending on the person and cycle.
- The mature oocytes can be frozen and stored, or we can fertilise them with the sperm of your partner or a donor.
- Fertilisation is done by ICSI (injection of one sperm cell into each oocyte).
- We monitor embryo development until day 3, 5, 6 or 7 after fertilisation and freeze all embryos with a normal developmental pattern and appearance.
- The IVM counsellor will call you afterwards to let you know how many embryos were deemed good for freezing.
Am I eligible for IVM?
During a consultation, the fertility doctor will assess whether you are eligible for IVM. The main issue is whether the oocyte count in your ovaries is sufficient.
The treating doctor will evaluate this based on the results of a blood test and a vaginal ultrasound. Research has shown that the success rate of IVM in women with AMH levels is similar to that of IVF.
Five common questions about IVM answered:
Is IVM safe?
Prof. Dr. Michel De Vos
What is the success rate of IVM?
Good to know